Thursday, January 23, 2014

Library Cards

Yesterday, it seemed every person I helped didn't have a library card.  They had one, but no on them.   This is probably one of my main pet peeves. Yes, we can look up the card number, etc.  But it just makes life easier if you have your card.  I know there are times when someone stops by the library on the spur of the moment and doesn't have their card.  No big deal.  My main pet peeve is with the people who are regulars and NEVER have their cards.  The icing on the cake is when they cop an attitude with me when I ask them for their card. One person told me that I was way too demanding when I asked her for her library card.  I wish I were psychic and knew they didn't have their card when they walk up to the reference desk, but I am not that good.   I wonder if these same people call to QVC, etc. to order items and they don't have their credit card handy?

Also since I am discussing my pet peeves, one other one that blows my mind is when people call to put a book on hold or reserve a computer while driving.  This is one case that I don't mind they don't have their library card handy.  But it makes me wonder how pressed for time people are if the only time they can call the library to place a book on hold is when they are driving 75 mph on I-25 with children in the vehicle.  One day I just know I am going to hear a crash.  

I want to stress I like my job and I have been doing for many, many years now.  But some days the reference desk has a theme and yesterday was no library card day.  Oi!


1 comment:

  1. Great analogy to calling QVC without their credit card. No one would think of doing that. Yet they think they can just smile and walk out of a library with some books or DVDs without their card. These are probably the same people who think they're entitled to keep what they check out indefinitely, or even forever, because their tax dollars paid for them!

    ReplyDelete