Thursday, January 9, 2014

Conduct Unbecoming!

In the last week or so, there has been much talk about the ALA (American Library Association) Code of Conduct.  The last time I remember this much discussion on a topic in libraries was when libraries installed computers with Internet access.  At that time people were concerned about person's  right to go to the library and view adult content. This issue worked its way out and I do believe the issues surrounding the Code of Conduct will work out as well. 


I can see why people are upset.  We don't like being told how to behave.  After all we are professional adults and should know how to behave and treat others with respect.  Also, ALA needs to have sponsors for the conferences. And if those sponsors want a code of  conduct in order to participate, then so be it.  I firmly support the Code of Conduct. I think people need to be reminded to behave appropriately.  


After I read a few of the blog posts on the issue, my first thought was a code of conduct is needed not because of in person interactions, but because of social media.  20 years ago, you would go to a conference and you would submit comment cards on someone's presentation and that's how they would get feedback.  But now, someone could record a presentation on their tablet, laptop, smartphone, etc. and then post it online and ridicule the presenter.  As great as social media is, I find that people use it to be mean and vicious. What better way to get back at someone than to post nasty comments about that person and then let others weigh in as well.  What better way to post how you really feel about a race/culture than on social media. Yes, there have been high profile people who have done this and it has ruined their lives and career.  But what happens to an average Joe??  Probably not much.  I use to have a Twitter account, but deleted it when I kept seeing racist and sexist remarks that people thought were hilarious. I didn't want to condone that type of behavior.  Also, I found that there was no way to avoid it. 


If the Code of Conduct makes people stop and think about what they are going to post online at a Conference, then I am all for it.  Every person who attends deserves and should expect to be treated with respect.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's unfortunate that a Code of Conduct is needed in any circumstances. But, like you, I've seen too often people who just don't have a clue how to behave with courtesy and respect towards others. So I agree; people have the right to be treated respectfully, and if we need to spell out for some exactly what that means, then we need to spell it out. And make sure they understand that rude and inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated.

    ReplyDelete