Thursday, January 9, 2014

Active Shooter Dating

A fact of our reality in 2014 is that there is violence in schools and the workplace. My public library has prepared the employees by having Active Shooter Training. This was intense for some of my coworkers.  They didn't want to think about anything violent happening in the library.  The training really didn't bother me too much because my first job out of graduate school was in a prison.  So I had to do lots of training even before stepping foot in the prison library.  That training is with me today, years later.   Even if some of my coworkers freaked out about the training, I think we have to be prepared for the worst and realize that nothing will probably happen.

Every year this time, I resolve to get back into the dating game and sign up for one of the multitude of online dating sites.  This January 1st, I realized I was in a funk and couldn't stop eating.  (Eating is my drug of choice.  I don't drink, smoke, do recreational drugs, but when I am feeling anxious or stressed, a slice of red velvet cake can do wonders for my nerves!). My anxious mood was caused by the fact that I vowed to give online dating another shot.  So I went online to do a little research to try and finally have a great profile and meet some interesting men who are date worthy.  Well my hopes were dashed on my first Google search.  I searched on "Online Dating and Black Women" and up popped an article from NPR. The Daily Mail also reported on it.  Apparently, black women are least likely to get a message from anyone on online dating sites!  Great!  I have been wasting my money and time.  On the upside, at least I know it isn't just me.  Most black women don't get noticed on online dating sites.   Then I had the thought "Holy crap, I have a better chance of being shot at the reference desk than I do meeting the love of my life".  What a thought to start off the new year.  Please pass me another slice of red velvet cake please! Obviously, I have done online dating in the past without much success.  I have found that lots of married men do online dating to find a play-thang because their wives don't understand them or want to have much sex.  Not my scene. Or I have been a novelty for some because they have always wanted to date a black woman and figured Why Not!  So my luck hasn't been all that great.

So it is January 9th and I am stuck. I have done online dating in the past and at time I thought I met someone I was going to at least have a relationship with Do I spend the money and the time to try and meet the love of my life online?  Is there really a guy out there for me and I just haven't crossed paths with him?  Or should I just read the writing on the wall and move on from online dating?  What do you think?  At this point, I am willing to take advice from anyone.  I'd like to raise the odds of finding the love of my life versus those of being shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment